Miles clears 5.85m in front of Brandenburg Gate - Berlin 2009
Berlin, Germany – In their latest promotion of the 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics, Berlin, Germany (15 – 23 August 2009), the Local Organising Committee staged a Pole Vault competition in front of the Brandenburg Gate in the German capital on Sunday (7).
At Berlin’s most famous landmark, US champion Derek Miles, 35, was in top form. The American, who had taken fourth place in Beijing, cleared 5.85m at his second attempt. It was his outdoor personal best by 4cm, and matched his overall PB which he jumped indoors at Donetsk in February 2005.
Miles, had three unsuccessful tries at 5.90m, having been the only competitor left at 5.85m. Leonid Andreyev (Uzbekistan) had failed at 5.70m. He was second with a clearance of 5.55m, while Jeff Hartwig (USA) took third with the same height and Germany’s Lars Börgeling jumped 5.40m for fourth place.
At the promotional event it was announced that 150,000 tickets have been already been sold for next summer’s championships.
Larry Eder and Jörg Wenig for the IAAF
Click here to go to the Berlin 2009 Local Organising Committee website
- Huge Unique User Figures and Page Hits – IAAF Website, Berlin 2009
- Berlin 2009 - Day 9 SUMMARY - 23 Aug
- IAAF / LOC Press Conference - Berlin 2009 – Championships Debrief
- Berlin 2009 - Expected highlights / DAILY PREVIEW - Day Nine, 23 Aug
- 77.96m World Hammer Throw record by Wlodarczyk in Berlin! - UPDATED
- Berlin 2009 - Day 8 SUMMARY - 22 Aug
- IAAF Council Meeting – Berlin 2009, 22 August
- Berlin 2009 - Expected highlights / DAILY PREVIEW - Day Eight, 22 Aug
- Berlin 2009 - Day 7 SUMMARY - 21 Aug
- IAAF DAILY MEDIA BRIEFING - Aug 21 - Berlin 2009