IAAF Green Project – Berlin 2009
Berlin, Germany - The IAAF Green Project is an environmental initiative by the IAAF to promote the most environmentally sound implementation of athletics events as possible. The aim of the project at the 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics, Berlin, Germany (15–23 August 2009) is to contribute to more environmentally conscious thinking and actions by everyone involved.
Following the example set at the 11th IAAF World Championships in Athletics, Osaka 2007 and in continuation of the Green Project, BOC, the Local Organising Committee of Berlin 2009 is deliberately approaching the task and responsibility of preparing and executing the World Championships as environmentally friendly as possible.
To do so, BOC, is carrying out various projects and every internal procedure in the organisation is being critically examined for opportunities to be more environmental, and all volunteers are being schooled in environmental issues.
Each event ticket also includes travel to and from the competition on the excellent Berlin public transportation system – click here to read more
In addition to the optimisation of transportation and logistics and the reduction of energy usage, BOC’s key areas of environmental activity also include garbage and recycling management, construction and building management, as well as the sourcing of materials.
Plant for the Planet
BOC also supports the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) tree-planting initiative “Plant for the Planet” for the reduction of CO2 emissions.
In addition to calling for donations, Berlin 2009 will be planting a tree for each of the 47 World Champions to create an “Avenue of Champions”.
Join in and do your part to make the World Championships an environmentally friendly event!
Donations - http://www.plant-for-the-planet.org/en
- Huge Unique User Figures and Page Hits – IAAF Website, Berlin 2009
- Berlin 2009 - Day 9 SUMMARY - 23 Aug
- IAAF / LOC Press Conference - Berlin 2009 – Championships Debrief
- Berlin 2009 - Expected highlights / DAILY PREVIEW - Day Nine, 23 Aug
- 77.96m World Hammer Throw record by Wlodarczyk in Berlin! - UPDATED
- Berlin 2009 - Day 8 SUMMARY - 22 Aug
- IAAF Council Meeting – Berlin 2009, 22 August
- Berlin 2009 - Expected highlights / DAILY PREVIEW - Day Eight, 22 Aug
- Berlin 2009 - Day 7 SUMMARY - 21 Aug
- IAAF DAILY MEDIA BRIEFING - Aug 21 - Berlin 2009