Event Report - Women's Heptathlon - Javelin Throw
Briton Jessica Ennis didn’t have any trouble securing her gold medal in the sixth event of Heptathlon, Javelin. Ennis, who has worked a lot to get her javelin throw further, immediately released a 43.54 throw with her first attempt for a total of 5799 total points before the last event, 800 metres.
The 23-year-old now leads by 171 points before Pole Kamila Chudzik, who didn’t get as good result in the Javelin as she would have wanted. Chudzik has thrown well more than 50 metres and although 48.72 is a decent result it did not give her enough advantage for the 800m. She is now in second place with 5628 points, but is a weaker 800m runner than those behind her in the scoring.
German Jennifer Oeser is really close to a medal thanks to a good 46.70 Javelin result which gives her the third place after six events with 5591 points. Ukrainian Olympic champion Nataliya Dobrynska will have to work extremely hard for a medal here. She continued to perform on the low side in the Javelin only managing a 43.29 throw for 5526p and fourth place in the total competition.
The remaining medals will be decided between athletes in placings 2-4 at the moment as two other Ukrainians in places five and six are two far away now. Lyudmyla Yosypenko threw 46.87 Javelin for 5518p and Hanna Melnychenko has scored 5491p having throw 42.24 in the sixth event.
Linda Züblin, who is not fighting for the top places set a Swiss national record 53.01 in the Javelin.
Mirko Jalava for the IAAF
- Huge Unique User Figures and Page Hits – IAAF Website, Berlin 2009
- Berlin 2009 - Day 9 SUMMARY - 23 Aug
- IAAF / LOC Press Conference - Berlin 2009 – Championships Debrief
- Berlin 2009 - Expected highlights / DAILY PREVIEW - Day Nine, 23 Aug
- 77.96m World Hammer Throw record by Wlodarczyk in Berlin! - UPDATED
- Berlin 2009 - Day 8 SUMMARY - 22 Aug
- IAAF Council Meeting – Berlin 2009, 22 August
- Berlin 2009 - Expected highlights / DAILY PREVIEW - Day Eight, 22 Aug
- Berlin 2009 - Day 7 SUMMARY - 21 Aug
- IAAF DAILY MEDIA BRIEFING - Aug 21 - Berlin 2009